Fairtrade Tea and Honey Cake
Posted by Nathan Lloyd | 28/02/2014 | Category: Fairtrade
We continue our celebration of Fairtrade Fortnight (24th Feb – 9th March) with a scrumptious Fairtrade Tea and Honey Cake that is perfect for an 11 o'clock break with a nice cup of Fairtdae 99 tea!
The recipe is detailed below and, as always, we would love to hear your feedback at the foot of this article.
• Preparation Time: Around 10 mins
• Cooking Time: 40 mins
• Serves: 4
Ingredients – For the tea and date puree
- 175g (6oz) The Co-operative Wholefoods chopped dates
- 100ml (3.5fl oz) cold strong The Co-operative Fairtrade 99 tea
Ingredients – For the cake
- 225g (8oz) The Co-operative self-raising flour
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 175g (6oz) The Co-operative butter- softened
- 100g (4oz) The Co-operative Fairtrade soft brown sugar
- 4tbsp The Co-operative Fairtrade honey
- 3 The Co-operative free range eggs, beaten
- 80g The Co-operative wholefoods walnut pieces
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4)
Line an 8in x 10in (20 cm x 25 cm) tin with non-stick parchment paper.
To make the date puree place the chopped dates into a pan with the cold tea and simmer gently for 5 minutes until the dates are soft and the liquid is absorbed. Mash or blend the dates until smooth and set aside until cool.
Place the flour, cinnamon, butter, sugar, 2 tablespoons of the honey and the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Beat the mixture for 2-3 minutes, using a wooden spoon or hand-held mixer, until well blended.
Gently stir the dates into the mixture then spoon into the prepared tin and level the top. Scatter the walnut pieces over.Bake for 30-40 minutes until well risen and golden.
Cool slightly in the tin then drizzle over the remaining honey and cut into squares.