Fairtrade Tea and Honey Cake
Serves: 4 / Preparation time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4)
- Line an 8in x 10in (20 cm x 25 cm) tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- To make the date puree place the chopped dates into a pan with the cold tea and simmer gently for 5 minutes until the dates are soft and the liquid is absorbed.
- Mash or blend the dates until smooth and set aside until cool.
- Place the flour, cinnamon, butter, sugar, 2 tablespoons of the honey and the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Beat the mixture for 2-3 minutes, using a wooden spoon or hand-held mixer, until well blended.
- Gently stir the dates into the mixture then spoon into the prepared tin and level the top. Scatter the walnut pieces over.Bake for 30-40 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool slightly in the tin then drizzle over the remaining honey and cut into squares.
Hints and Tips
For a change top the cake with pecan nuts.
You will need:
Makes 12 slices
For the tea and date puree
- 175g (6oz) The Co-operative Wholefoods chopped dates
- 100ml (3.5fl oz) cold strong The Co-operative Fairtrade 99 tea
For the cake
- 225g (8oz) The Co-operative self-raising flour
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 175g (6oz) The Co-operative butter- softened
- 100g (4oz) The Co-operative Fairtrade soft brown sugar
- 4tbsp The Co-operative Fairtrade honey
- 3 The Co-operative free range eggs, beaten
- 80g The Co-operative wholefoods walnut pieces
Subject to availability
Share this recipe: