Fairtrade Tea Bread
Serves: 8-10 / Preparation time: 60 minutes / Cooking time: 75 minutes
- Put the strong tea into a large bowl and stir in the sugar until it has all dissolved.
- Add the dried fruit, cover the bowl with a plate and leave to soak overnight.
- Next day, preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C.
- Give the mixture a stir to ensure that none of the sugar has settled at the bottom, then add the egg and, finally, the flour.
- Give the mixture a good stir until all the flour is completely combined.
- Tip the mixture into a greased and lined 2lb loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for around 1½ hours, or until the cake is firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
- Slice and serve on its own or with butter.