Hot Cross Buns
Serves: 16 / Preparation time: 40 / Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- Preparation and cooking time: About 40 minutes to make + about 1 hour and 30 minutes to rise + 15-20 minutes to bake
- Put the flour, yeast, salt, mixed spice, cocoa powder, dried fruit, orange zest and chocolate chips into a big bowl.
- Add the melted butter, egg, tepid water and milk and mix together to make a dough. Place onto a floured work surface and knead the dough for about 15 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough into a clean bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave somewhere warm for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Divide the dough in 4 and then break each quarter into 4 even-sized pieces to make 16.
- Roll each piece into a round ball and place on the tray, about a finger width apart. Cover the tray and leave somewhere warm until the buns have doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 190°C/Gas 6. In a small bowl mix together the ingredients for the cross to make a smooth batter. Spoon into a piping bag and then pipe crosses on each bun.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked all the way through and golden on the top.
You will need:
- 650g strong white bread flour
- 2 x 7g packets dried yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 11/2 tbsp mixed spice
- 11/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 150g mixed dried fruit, e.g. cranberries, currants and sultanas
- Zest of 1 orange
- 200g milk chocolate chips
- 75g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 free range egg
- 175ml tepid water
- 175ml tepid semi skimmed milk
For the cross:
- 50g strong white bread flour
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 15g unsalted butter, melted
- 60ml water
Subject to availability
Share this recipe: