- 225g butter (extra or greasing)
- 225g sugar
- 450g Tate & Lyle golden syrup (Plus extra for finishing)
- 450g Co-operative self-raising flour
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 300ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease a deep, rectangular tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Heat a large pan on a low heat, and add the butter, syrup and sugar and stir. Leave to cool for around 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with milk, and when smooth add the flour and egg mixture into the syrup and butter.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth, and then pour into the tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes, until golden, risen and spongy. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pierce holes in the cake using a fork or skewer. Pour 2 tbsp of golden syrup over the cake, so it fills the holes.
- When completely cooled, turn out of the tin and serve.