- 500g The Co-operative fresh lean British beef steak mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- A little grated nutmeg (optional)
- About 100g spinach leaves
- 12 sheets The Co-operative egg lasagne
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely gratedTo make the white sauce50g unsalted butter
- 50g plain flour
- 600ml semi skimmed milk
To make the bolognese
- Put the beef into a pan and cook until golden. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Add the oil, onions, carrots and celery to the pan and cook gently for 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes. Return the beef and add the tomatoes, ½ a can of water, purée and sugar. Simmer for 30 minutes.
To make the lasagne
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/Gas 4.
- Make the white sauce by melting the butter in a pan, add the flour and mix with a wooden spoon. Cook for a couple of minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking all the time. Heat gently for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens and if using, add a little freshly grated nutmeg.
- Spoon a thin layer (about a third) of the bolognese into the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Cover with a thin layer of spinach leaves, then lasagne sheets (about 3½ depending on the shape of the dish). Then spread the white sauce over the pasta sheets.
- Repeat with two more layers of bolognese, spinach, pasta and white sauce and end with the sauce. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and bake for 45 minutes until bubbling and golden.