Food Stores and Petrol Filling Stations - Privacy Notice
Personal data we collect and use
- Information about your purchases in any of our food stores and filling stations
- If you are a member and present your membership card, we collect information and use it as set out in the membership section of our privacy notice
- If you are not a member, or you do not present your membership card at the time of purchase, we cannot identify you from this information
- Information that may be required to buy or use products and services from third party suppliers in our store
- Payment card information, when you make a payment by credit or debit card
- Contact information and consents when you sign up to receive offers, vouchers and information or when you take part in a competition or survey
- Your communication and marketing preferences
- Personal data contained in any communication you may enter into
- Footage and/or images of you, which may be recorded on CCTV when you visit our premises
- Any other personal data you give us
How we use your personal data
- To process payments and make deliveries on the grounds of contractual obligation
- To send you offers, vouchers and information about products, services and events when you have consented to this
- To administer any of our prize draws or competitions which you enter, based on your consent given at the time of entering
- To deal with communications including enquiries, complaints and compliments on the grounds of our legitimate interest in managing our relationship with you.
- We use non-identifiable information about purchases for statistical analysis and business planning, for instance to identify trends in shopping, to plan to meet demand, to improve our products and services and to develop new ones. We do this on the grounds of our legitimate interest in continually improving service to our customers
- If we have given you a personalised voucher to use in our stores, we may use your personal data to create a profile based on your purchase history in combination with publicly or commercially available information, so that we can send you further offers, vouchers and information about products, services and events that we think will be of interest to you. We do this on the basis of your consent when you give us your email address
- We use CCTV monitoring to protect our customers and colleagues and to safeguard our property and assets. We do this in the legitimate interests of the Society, customers and colleagues. We also do this in the public interest, to prevent and detect crime and accidents. In premises licensed to sell age-restricted products, where we are legally required to operate CCTV systems
Who we share your personal data with
Your personal data may be processed by organisations acting on our behalf. They may only use this data for the purpose we agree with them, unless they are required by law to process your personal data for other purposes. For instance, when you make a purchase for delivery at home we will share your details with a courier or the supplier responsible for making the delivery.
Sometimes we offer services from third party suppliers in our stores and we collect your personal data on their behalf. Examples include PayPoint and Rug Doctor. When we do so, we act on their instructions. To see how they will use your personal data you should look at their privacy notices.
When you pay by credit or debit card we pass your card and payment details securely to our card payment service provider. We do not keep your card details.
We may use a mailing service provider to send you offers, vouchers and information about products, services and events.
We may share your personal data, where necessary, with our auditors, legal advisors and other professional advisors acting in their professional capacity, for instance, for the purposes of allowing us to exercise or defend our legal rights.
We may be required to share your personal data to comply with laws or with legal obligations, such as in response to a valid court order or to e.g. HMRC, or where we consider that there is a legitimate interest to do so, such as reporting details of a suspected criminal incident to the Police.
We may also share your data with third parties where we are legally required to do so, or where you have either explicitly asked us to, or given permission to a third party to be provided with a copy of your personal data.
How long we keep your personal data
We will keep your personal data only for as long as is necessary for the purposes described in this notice, including where it is needed to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes or to enforce agreements. This means we may keep your personal data for up to seven years after you visit our store.
Where we collect your personal data on behalf of third party suppliers, as their data processor, your personal data will be retained as set out in their privacy notices.
We do not keep credit or debit card details.
CCTV footage and/or images are normally kept for 31 days. Images and/or footage of incidents that require investigation will normally be kept for up to 7 years from the conclusion of any investigation and/or any subsequent legal proceedings, unless we are legally required to retain this footage or images for longer.