Serves: 20 / Preparation time: 60 minutes / Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Preheat oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5. Lightly grease 2 baking trays.
- Place the flour, bicarbonate of soda, egg, and ginger in a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, stir in the sugar and add the syrup, kneading lightly.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface until 5mm (1/4in) thick.
- Cut out the gingerbread shapes using a cutter. Place on the baking trays.
- Use currants for eyes and buttons. Bake for approximately 10–12 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Decorate with smarties and white icing.
This recipe has one or more red traffic lights. It's fine to eat occasionally or as a treat.