Marbled Chocolate Easter Cake
Serves: 20 portions / Preparation time: 55 minutes / Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4.
- Using two separate bowls, place half of the buttery, caster sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in each bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Mix the cocoa powder with 30ml (2tbsp) boiling water until it makes a smooth paste. Add this to 1 of the cake mixes and add the vanilla essence to the other.
- Grease and line 2 x 20cm (8in) cake tins.
- Spoon the mixtures into the tins alternately to create a marbled pattern. Level with a knife. Cook for about 20–25 minutes until the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Break up chocolate. Melt in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Put butter and icing sugar in a bowl; add the chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Spread a little on one cake; place other cake on top. Cover top and sides with the rest.
- Decorate with milk chocolate eggs and drizzle the melted white chocolate.
This recipe has one or more red traffic lights. It's fine to eat occasionally or as a treat.
You will need:
- 200g (7oz) The Co-operative butter
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) The Co-operative self-raising flour
- 10ml (2tsp) baking powder
- 4 The Co-operative free-range eggs
- 30ml (2tbsp) cocoa powder
- 5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence
- 100g (3 1/2oz) The Co-operative fairtrade dark chocolate
- 100g (3 1/2oz) The Co-operative butter, softened
- 100g (3 1/2oz) icing sugar
- 50g (1 3/4oz) The Co-operative fairtrade milk chocolate speckled eggs
- 25g (1oz) white chocolate, melted
- baking paper
Subject to availability
Share this recipe: